Thursday, October 17, 2013

IAT - 10-13-13 - Holy Hill Segment to Hartland Segment

For this trip to close the gap I had in the trail now my wife and kids wanted to do some apple picking.  Originally we had planned to all do that together and then I could knock out the miles on the trail.  But we got a late start to the day, I got lost on the trial for a little, and we took a break to check out the Basilica of the National Shrine of St Mary.  With it being a Sunday that all added up to me not having enough time to go apple picking or even finish my intended route all the way to the end of the Delafield segment.

But it was a beautiful day out and I started on HWY E on the north end of the Holy Hill segment.  All was well until I hit the .5 mile connecting route along Pleasant Hill Rd.  Where the trail pickups again on the south side of the street it was completely overgrown when coming from the west.  I ended up walking a good half mile further down the road then I had to before doubling back.  Coming from the east I could see a blue sign marking the edge of Ice Age preserve and the start of private property so I went to see where the trail actually picked up.  Behind some bushes there was the familiar yellow blazed post completely covered.  

Holy Hill segment was looking good with all the colors from the leafs.

There was a bridge going over a small river.

The trail covered in all the leafs.
With that mess out of the way I kept on and met my family along the trail.  They had parked at the Basilica of St Mary and hiked north to meet me.  We hiked back to the Basilica together and fought the crowds up to check the place out.  It was pretty cool and had some good views, but overall I should have just kept hiking.  Back on the trail the southern part of the Holy Hill segment was packed.  Tons of people out to enjoy the leafs.

View of trail along the Holy Hill segment.
There were a ton of cars piling into this place.


The Basilica of the National Shrine of St Mary.

View looking north from the top level of the Basilica.
View looking east from the top level of the Basilica.
The crowded Basilica of the National Shrine of St Mary.
After a short connecting route I headed into the Loew Lake segment which was very nice.  Beautiful views along the trail and a very good hike.  Saw some horseback riders on the trail briefly.  They apparently came on the IAT just to let their horses do their business and then realized it wasn't met for horses and turned around and continued on the horse trail.  Thanks...

Nice views along the Loew Lake segment.



Some dead trees along the Loew Lake segment.
Milkweed along the Loew Lake segment.
But finished up the Loew Lake segment in good time and had a quick stop for a late lunch before heading into the Monches segment.  It was a short segment, but was enjoyable to hike.  The Merton segment was also very nice.  It follows and crosses a river which was pretty cool.  The bridges are nice and I'm sure they make the trail more accessible for everyone, but I almost wish they weren't there.  The crossings would have been some interesting rock hops that would add a lot of character to the trail.
Start of Monches segment.
View along Merton segment.

After a short road walk I arrived at Centennial Park and the beginning of the Hartland segment.  These must be some of the nicest public parks around.  Just beautiful.  Very enjoyable walk through their parks.  But the family was done with their apple picking and the kids had school the next day so I got the call that it was time to go.  There was some interesting road walking through alleys and down streets in the north part of this segment.  As I had my sheet of paper with directions out trying to navigate through town I see another hiker going the other way with her sheet of paper doing the same thing.  It was pretty funny.  But made it a little beyond Nixon park before I was picked up and we headed home.
Fountain at Nixon Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment